|MSR Dragonfly Backpacking Stove|
|I recommend this product|
I was a long time MSR Wisperlight International user before I bought this stove. The old rig was a little gummed up and worn, so opting for a fresh start, I sprang for this baby. The features that attracted me were largely the simmer valve and the wider range of fuels, although it's rumored that even though the International doesn't mention some of the same fuels, I've been told it burns them.
In the first couple months I burned white gas, then switched to Unleaded Gasoline. I have never had to take the unit apart to clean it. I did have one failure where an O ring in the pump assembly began allowing gas to pass through the mechanism and drip out onto the ground. I replaced the O ring with a spare from the repair kit and everthing was fine. I have not taken the unit part and overhauled it, because it hasn't needed it, but it seems almost everything is serviceable.
This is a VERY popular stove among the other cyclists I know. Many of them, however, had a differnt experience than I; I heard a lot of stories of the fuel line and fuel jet getting clogged. Luckily these parts are self serviceable.
I like the ability to adjust the flame down to a simmer, unlike many other "on or off" style stoves. Still, I found that with the usual camp cookware, it was difficult to make things like pancakes without scorching them. When I did have a camp skillet, a little thicker than the normal pot lid, it worked fine. It does go down low enough that I can boil water in my pot, and turn my pot lid on top upside-down and make holandaise without cooking the eggs. For me, holandaise is the holy grail of camp stove capability. It passes.
For the international backpacking gourmet, the multi-fuel MSR DragonFly stove has the most adjustable flame of any liquid fuel burning stove.
* Lightweight pump is easy to adjust and is durable
* Pump features a poppet valve so it won't leak when you remove it from the stove after cooking
* 2 control valves: 1 to regulate gas flow and another to dial-in a precise flame
* Burns almost any fuel, including white gas, kerosene, diesel, automotive gas, aviation gas, stoddard solvent and naphtha
* Field-maintainable stove stays clog-free thanks to its self-cleaning jet
* Legs spring open for ease of use and fold compactly for storage—fits inside MSR cook sets, sold separately
* Comes with windscreen, heat reflector, fuel pump and stuff sack
* Requires MSR Fuel Bottle for operation, sold separately
* Weight of liquid fuel stove includes only stove and fuel pump
Runs on white gas, kerosene, jet fuel and unleaded automobile fuel. Please note: automobile fuel will clog the stove much quicker than the other fuels and should only be used if other fuels are not available. Please note: MSR products can only be shipped to U.S. addresses.
Made in USA.